Monday, March 8, 2010

Lesson Learned

I've always felt really comfortable around fire and very hot objects, like heated pipe and metal that's been welded on, for some reason. I've always had that sense of, "oh i'm not going to get burned, or i'm smart enough to not get hurt." What I didn't realize, however, is that all of the time's my mom told me to, "quit playing with the candles," she was actually trying to protect me. Well one day I was in Ag metal, using a cutting torch in wind pants and a sleeveless cotton shirt. Lets just say that those combination's don't go together very well. About thirty seconds after I had started welding, I noticed what smelled like something burning. Now when your cutting, your wearing a dark lens, so I couldn't see my leg. I noticed the temperature start to increase significantly, but I still didn't think that it was possible for me to catch on fire. Finally I couldn't take it anymore. I took of the dark lense and looked to, to my great surprise, to see half of my leg covered in flame. I started yelling like never before, and Patrick ran and got the fire extingrisher and doused the flames. I learned a valuble lesson that day. Don't think that you are immune to certain dangers, because more than likely, your not.

1 comment: